How do I make an EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) application?

All applications should be submitted online, using a special Home Office App. It will guide you through the process and takes approximately 15-20 minutes to complete. Click here to access the online application.

You will need the following in order to make an application:-

➢ An email address where the Home Office can send updates. It is very important that you have access to this email account at all times, as all contact from the Home Office is likely to come by email.

➢ A valid passport or a valid national ID Card with a biometric chip (This will be a small square metal shape on the surface of the ID Card). If you are the non EU/EEA family member of an EU/EEA national, you need to have a Biometric Residence Permit to apply using the Home Office App.

➢ Documents showing how long you have lived in the UK. You can provide one or more supporting documents, including bank statements, letters from schools, social workers, GPs, dentists etc. Documents should contain your full name. Confirmation letters should provide full contact details of the person writing the letter. Remember that you need to provide evidence of residence for five years, if you are applying for settlement.

If you need more advice on what documentation to provide and what information should be included please get in contact with:
• Children’s Law Centre by emailing or;
• Stronger Together

➢ You will need to download this app on to an android phone
You can also use an iPhone 7 or higher. The app can be downloaded from here

➢ If you are helping someone with an application, they will need to be present, as the App needs to take a scan of the face.

How to make a paper application online

If you do not have a valid passport or ID Card, you are expected to try to obtain one. If you have been unable to obtain one; you must apply for permission to submit a paper application.

You do this by filling in a form online. You must provide your full name, date of birth & nationality and explain why you can’t get a passport/ID Card. You also need to obtain a paper form if you are the family member of an EU/EEA national and you do not hold a Biometric Residence Permit.

For more information click here.

How will it affect me if I don’t apply for the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS)?

The UK government has previously indicated that it intends to remove EU/EAA nationals and their family members who have “no immigration status” after 30 June 2021.

People who have no immigration status lose the right to be given a national insurance number, get a job, hold a driving licence, access benefits, obtain accommodation, access educational maintenance support (EMA), have a bank account, register with a Doctor etc.

Click here for more information on the implications for EU families with Children Who Fail to Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

Can I get help to make an EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) application?

Yes. If you are a Looked After Child, or a Care Leaver, you should speak to your social worker or personal advisor about making an application.

If you are in this group, you can also email with your name and telephone number and ask for a call back from an immigration solicitor. We will either assist you, or signpost you to another organisation that can assist you.
If you need to make an application as part of a family group; help and advice is available free of charge from a number of organisations across Northern Ireland, who form a consortium of groups called “Stronger Together”. For more information or advice, you can call Stronger Together on (028) 8775 0211, or email Alternatively, you can contact AdviceNI on 0800 915 4604, or email

Is there a fee to make an EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) application?

No. The application is free of charge. There are also organisations who can provide you with free advice and assistance to help you to make the application.

For more information or advice you can speak to a legal advisor confidentially on 08088085678 or by emailing