What age can I get my acquired gender legally recognised?

If you are over 18 years old and have lived in your acquired gender for more than two years, you can apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate (GRC). You can also apply for a GRC if you have changed gender in certain countries outside the UK.

For more information on how to apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate (GRC)  click on the link below


How do I get my name changed on any records held about me (e.g. education, training, employment, medical or social work records) to show my new name?

If you want to update any records to replace your old name with your new name, you will need to produce evidence to show that you have changed your name.

If you get a deed poll, you can use it to update your details with the NHS and Gender Identity Clinics, your exam board, passport and your driving licence.

To change your birth certificate, you need to get a Gender Recognition Certificate which you can apply for when you are 18 and over.