What if my passport does not have my preferred name/name I used to book a flight?

Passengers on an airplane must provide proof of identity when they check-in for their flight. Your name must match that on your passport or government-issued photographic ID. If you do have different names and genders or different documents however, you might be able to choose which one to use, provided it meets airline ID requirements and matches the name used on your reservation. You should check with your airline/travel agent before booking.

How do I get a provisional driving licence for the first time using my preferred gender identity if I am under 16?

If you know your preferred gender identity before you are 15 years and 9 months old, you can apply for a provisional driving licence using the gender you feel most comfortable with.

How do I change my gender on my provisional licence/driving licence?

If you already have a provisional licence or full licence and want to change your gender to your preferred gender identity, you will need to get a form from your post office.

You will then need to provide several documents, including a doctor’s letter stating your change of gender.

How do I change my gender on my passport?

If you are 16 or older;

This will depend on which country has issued your passport. For more information and advice speak to a legal advisor confidentially on 0808 8085678, email ree@childrenslawcentre.org or online at REE Live Chat.

If you are under 16;

Someone with parental responsibility must apply for the passport on your behalf. You will probably need to produce a letter from your doctor stating that you intend to legally change your gender permanently.

How do I get my acquired gender recognised legally?

It can take a long time to get a Gender Recognition Certificate (GRC) but this certificate ensures that a transgender person can apply for jobs and medical treatment, without having to disclose their transgender status. In Northern Ireland an individual cannot apply for a GRC if they are married, or in a civil partnership.

For more information on how to apply for a GRC, click on the link below: