Do my parents have to be there when the Police search me?

You can be stopped and searched without your parents being present or another adult.

The police are not required to tell parents or carers that a search of their child has taken place.

Can I stop being in care and move back in with my family?

A Care Order lasts until you are 18. However, you can go to the court to ask for the judge to stop the order. Taking a child into care should normally be a temporary measure and should be stopped as soon as it is possible to do so. The Court is responsible for making sure that they try to reunite you with your family and enable regular contact as long as it is in your best interest.

If I am in care, can I speak to my parents? When, how often, will it be supervised?

As long as it’s practical and is your best interests, you should be able to contact your parents or any person who has parental responsibility, is a relative or a friend. This contact should be direct and on a regular basis, unless it’s not in your best interest.