Can I ask my doctor and the staff to use my preferred pronouns?

Yes, you can ask anyone to address you with your preferred pronouns.  You can approach the GP practice and have a conversation about your gender identity. 

What if my passport does not have my preferred name/name I used to book a flight?

Passengers on an airplane must provide proof of identity when they check-in for their flight. Your name must match that on your passport or government-issued photographic ID. If you do have different names and genders or different documents however, you might be able to choose which one to use, provided it meets airline ID requirements and matches the name used on your reservation. You should check with your airline/travel agent before booking.

Can my exam records/entries/certificates be updated to reflect my name change?

The name you choose to enter exams with must match a name on suitable identification, like a passport or birth certificate. If your name and gender have not been legally changed at the time you are being enrolled for exams, your school will have to use your legal name and gender. This is because your Unique Learner Number (ULN) is only linked with legal names not preferred names. Your ULN application is normally made when you are 14 or over and the name and gender used will be your legal name and gender at that time.

If you legally change your name and gender your school can update your details on your Personal Learning Record if you provide the legal documents to support this, such as your deed poll.

Can I use my chosen name/pronouns in school and get my school records changed to reflect my name/gender?

Your school should respect your wishes by using your preferred name/pronouns, and your records can be updated to reflect this. Remember to tell a teacher you trust so they can make sure other staff members know too.

If you are under 16 and want to be known by a different name or pronoun that is not supported by your parents/guardians, talk to a staff member that you trust as you may still be able to use your preferred name/pronoun in school.

If you want a document with your new name on it, your parents/guardians can apply to change your name through deed poll at any age. However, to change your name through deed poll without your parents/guardians’ consent, you must be 16 or older; and to change your legal name on your birth certificate you must be 18.

Your records cannot be updated to your preferred gender identity, unless you have legally changed the sex record on your birth certificate. You can do this by applying for a Gender Recognition Certificate (GRC) when you are 18, if you have lived in your acquired gender for more than 2 years.

You can have your school records amended when you do legally change your name and gender – even if you have finished school, to reflect your transition.

For more information and advice contact us on 08088085678, email or online at REE Live Chat.

Whatever your question about your rights, ask REE. Always there, always safe, always right, always anonymous, always confidential, never judgemental.