Can I take my parents to court to settle a dispute?

If you and your parents cannot reach an agreement about an important matter you can ask the Court to allow you to take a case.

A Specific Issue Order is a court order that deals with any specific matter related to Parental Responsibility. If you disagree with how your parent is exercising Parental Responsibility and preventing you from doing something or making you do something you don’t want to do, then it is possible to ask a court to decide what is best for you.

In order to take such a case, the court must be satisfied that you have sufficient understanding to take the case.

What if I disagree with decisions my parents make that affect my life?

Parents should always make decisions based on what is in your best interests. Sometimes you may feel that decisions your parents make are not what you want and you feel it is not in your best interests. You should be able to discuss the decision with your parents and your parents should listen to what you want.

What can I do if I don’t agree with the outcome of mediation decisions being made about contact arrangements?

If you are not happy with what is agreed through mediation and you still feel that you are not having enough time with a parent or a sibling, then you might have to consider asking a court to make a decision.

I don’t have contact with my parent/family members. How do I get to see them?

When parents and children live apart, family contact is usually arranged by parents but you are entitled to have regular contact with all your family. 

Your wishes and feelings are very important and you have a right to have a say about contact. If you and the adults involved in decisions cannot agree on contact arrangements then you could go to mediation to help resolve any disagreement, or you could go to court for a Contact Order in order to see your parent/brothers and sisters.