What other Court Orders are there?

Specific Issue Order: This is an order of the court which gives direction to parents about specific aspects of a child’s welfare, where parents cannot agree, such as which school a child will go to.

Residence Order: This is an order of the court which says where a child will live, usually one parent will seek such an order when parents separate.

Prohibited Steps Order: This is an order of the court which prevents a parent of a child from doing something for example taking the child to another country.

How do I get a Contact Order?

You would have to get a Solicitor and make an application to the court. You can instruct your own Solicitor if they feel that you are mature enough and have sufficient understanding about what you are seeking and the court process.

What is a Contact Order?

A Contact Order is a court order, which sets out the pattern of contact you should have with your parents, brothers or sisters that you do not live with, e.g. every weekend, two days per week etc.

Will I be able to speak to the Judge?

The Judge may want to speak to you directly but usually your Solicitor will tell the court what you want. Sometimes a Judge may ask a Courts Children’s Officer to speak to you and find out what you want to happen.

What will the court do?

The court will look at all your circumstances and most importantly your wishes and feelings and what is in your best interests. If the Judge agrees that it is in your best interests to have contact or more contact with your parent/siblings, then they will make a court order setting out what contact you will have.