How Can We Help?

How do I change my name if I am under 16?

< All Topics

If you are under 16 and you want to change your name, you can do this by deed poll* normally only with the permission of those who have ‘parental responsibility’ for you.

If neither parent/person(s) with parental responsibility gives permission, you can apply for a court order. However, you will have to demonstrate to the court that you have tried to work out your differences with them.

*A deed poll is a legal document which enables you to officially change any part of your (or your child’s) name: you can add a new name, remove an existing name, change the spelling of your names or even adopt a completely new name altogether, the choice is entirely yours.

Using a deed poll enables you to get all documents and records, including your passport, driving license and bank account, updated to show your new name.

Was this article helpful?
0 out Of 5 Stars
5 Stars 0%
4 Stars 0%
3 Stars 0%
2 Stars 0%
1 Stars 0%
How can we improve this article?
How Can We Improve This Article?
Table of Contents