How Can We Help?

Can I use my chosen name/pronouns in school and get my school records changed to reflect my name/gender?

< All Topics

Your school should respect your wishes by using your preferred name/pronouns, and your records can be updated to reflect this. Remember to tell a teacher you trust so they can make sure other staff members know too.

If you are under 16 and want to be known by a different name or pronoun that is not supported by your parents/guardians, talk to a staff member that you trust as you may still be able to use your preferred name/pronoun in school.

If you want a document with your new name on it, your parents/guardians can apply to change your name through deed poll at any age. However, to change your name through deed poll without your parents/guardians’ consent, you must be 16 or older; and to change your legal name on your birth certificate you must be 18.

Your records cannot be updated to your preferred gender identity, unless you have legally changed the sex record on your birth certificate. You can do this by applying for a Gender Recognition Certificate (GRC) when you are 18, if you have lived in your acquired gender for more than 2 years.

You can have your school records amended when you do legally change your name and gender – even if you have finished school, to reflect your transition.

For more information and advice contact us on 08088085678, email or online at REE Live Chat.

Whatever your question about your rights, ask REE. Always there, always safe, always right, always anonymous, always confidential, never judgemental.

Was this article helpful?
2.8 out Of 5 Stars

61 ratings

5 Stars 7%
4 Stars 25%
3 Stars 21%
2 Stars 20%
1 Stars 28%
How can we improve this article?
How Can We Improve This Article?
Table of Contents