What must the Police tell me before carrying out a search?
The Police must tell you:
• That you are being detained for the purposes of a search
• Their name or service number (unless the search relates to terrorism)
• The station they work at
• Reason for the search
• Grounds for suspicion, if applicable
• What law they are using to stop and search you
• What they are looking for
• That you must wait to be searched
• That you have a right to get a form giving details of the stop and search.
• The police officer will give you a reference number which you can quote to ask for a copy from a police station. You can do this at any time within the next 12months.