- Compliment existing services provided by voluntary, community, statutory and legal sectors.
- Work in partnership with children, parents, carers and other agencies.
- Provide accessible information, advice and representation.
- Promote children's participation.
- Provide education and training programmes to increase understanding of children's rights.
- Engage in legislation and policy commentary.
CLC provides a child focused and child friendly legal advice, information and representation service unique in Northern Ireland. The work of the legal team includes:
- CHALKY Freephone advice line for children/young people and their parents/carers.
- Free legal representation for children/young people at educational tribunals, mental health review tribunals, SENDIST appeals etc.
- Representation in a small number of strategic Judicial Reviews.
- 3rd Party Interventions on key children's rights issues.
The policy team at CLC works to ensure that all new legislation and policies are compliant with children's rights. This work involves:
- Making consultation responses.
- Briefing decision makers, partner organisations, children/young people and the general public.
- Making written and oral submissions to Northern Ireland Assembly committees.
- Attending Party Conferences.
- Consulting with children and young people and representing their views to decision makers.
CLC provides a range of training seminars for legal professionals, service providers, parents and carers on a wide range of topics related to children's rights. These include:
- Special Educational Needs
- Children's Human Rights in Practice
- Rights of Homeless Young People
- Mental Health
- Access to Justice
- Equality of Opportunity for Children and Young People
CLC also delivers children's rights workshops in schools and youth settings
- Participation in consultation responses
- Running children's rights based campaigns